- What is the difference between personal jurisdiction and notice? Consider how the law has evolved since Pennoyer. Also consider FRCP 4(k)(1)(A). Is service of the summons & complaint necessary to establish PJ? Is it by itself sufficient?
- What must be served under FRCP 4?
- What is served under FRCP 5?
- What is the purpose of FRCP 4(d)? Why would a defendant voluntarily waive service of process? Hint: peek at FRCP 12(a)(1)(A).
- Consider FRCP 4(e)(1). Why permit state law as an additional basis for service? Is this similar to federal courts using state-court personal jurisdiction pursuant to FRCP 4(k)(1)(A)?
- How is service made under FRCP 5? Is electronic service a good idea?
- Should the defendant’s answer be filed with the court before or after it is served on the plaintiff?
- Why does FRCP 6(d) provide three extra days to act after certain kinds of service made under Rule 5?
- Is Mullane construing a state service rule or the Constitution? Is it enough that a federal or state rule for service of process is satisfied, or is it necessary that Due Process is also satisfied?
Moved to new page Jan. 2, 2015