Sources for potential blog topics
- Potential topics posted to Twitter using hastag #cyberblogtopic
- Gigalaw (you can subscribe)
- Goldman’s Technology & Marketing Law blog
Basic internet tech [TBA]
- What is an IP address?
- What is TCP-IP?
- What is a domain name?
- What is the domain name system?
- What is HTML?
- What is a VPN and why you should care?
- Turning away search engines? See Robots.txt
- What is a traceroute? Network tools (http://network-tools.com/
Basic filesharing tech [TBA]
- What is P2P (TBA)
- Napster (TBA)
- Grokster (TBA)
- Bittorrent (TBA)
Foundational internet law articles and books
- Judge Frank Easterbrook, The Law of the Horse (1996)
- John Perry Barlow, A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace (1996)
- Lawrence Lessig, The Law of the Horse: What Cyberlaw Might Teach (1999)
- Lawrence Lessig, Code v2.0 (2006)
- Jonathan Zittrain, The Future of the Internet and How to Stop It (2008)
Selections of internet law scholarship by Professor Nathenson
- SSRN page of Professor Nathenson’s scholarship
- Ira Steven Nathenson, Looking for Fair Use in the DMCA’s Safety Dance (2009)
- Ira Steven Nathenson, Best Practices for the Law of the Horse: Teaching Cyberlaw and Illuminating Law Through Online Simulations (2011)
- Ira Steven Nathenson, Civil Procedures for a World of Shared and User-Generated Content (2012)
Foundational federal internet-related laws
- The “Constitution” of the Internet? Communications Decency Act section 230, 47 U.S.C. 230
- Why Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube exist: Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 512
- Trademarks vs. domain names, hashtags, metatags, and user names: Lanham Act of 1946, 15 U.S.C. 1052 et seq.
Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP)
- Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP)
- UDRP rules
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- WIPO materials:
Online investigation and enforcement
- Elements of a cease-and-desist letter a/k/a How Not to be an IP Gorilla
- Difference between C&D and DMCA takedown
- Sample C&D letters (TBA)
- Sample DMCA takedown notice (TBA)
- WHOIS searching (TBA)
- Internet Archive Wayback Machine
v 0.2 revised June 7, 2017